Monday, September 26, 2011

College and more

First off, we don't have wifi in our dorms which suck, so I'm typing away on my phone because I was so desperate to lay in bed finally after a long day. But the perks of having a loving dad work in the cable field is that he wants me to have wifi so I have a router sending my way. Yes, I didn't want to blog on Tumblr anymore, I felt like it was more public than it should have been. And truth is that despite all the 'free' time college is providing me, I really don't have the time for social networking anymore.

How should I start off.

Life in SoCal is great. But I do admit I'm looking forward to cooler days. But weather-wise, it's still all new to me. I get to freely wear all my shorts and not stick out like a sore thumb. Whereas in Oakland, when the weather WAS scorching, it would feel weird to wear shorts because of the unneeded attention from perves. It's nice, but every morning I look at my reflection to realize that I'm only getting tanNER - in the showers, I see how dark my feet now are and how visible my flipflop tan has become. I can't complain though, since it's
one of the reasons why I wanted to come down here.

How is the distance doing me?
I seriously miss my family a LOT! I'm one of the lucky few who has always had the best relationship with their family - each and everyone one of them. And I miss them terribly! I'm not homesick to the point where I'm in tears. But let's just say, once I started writing my first line on the first letter I sent them, the words that simply said, "Hey Family <3 I miss you all" tears instantly rose. And since I'm now on the part where I write about me becoming emotional ... I was talking to Thomas when we were in my room and I told him, "I miss my family" while pouting, and he replied, "I know, I miss mine, too" I started super tearing up. Haha, but I know mom is having her fair share of missing me, too. She texts me about 3 times a day. Couple days ago, she texted me & after 2 passing hours of no response, she texts me again. I didn't intentionally ignore it, I'm usually not the best to reply immediately to texts. But she worries and frantically texts Thomas asking hi if I lost my phone or if I'm okay. Thomas reassures her and says not to worry because Irvine is one of the safest cities in the nation (IT REALLY IS, TOO!) So I already learned my mini lesson of replying to mom when she texts me. Every night since, I have been messaging her mini summaries of my day and she does the same :) According to her texts, seems like my DAD has been around helping a lot more now. I think he feels like he needs to fill in my spot. Hehe. Which is good because he's rarely home, and now I hear he is fixing the roof, mopping the house, & more hopefully. I don't know if Tyven misses me though, I think he's enjoying me not being there to nag him. Hm, grandparents really miss me, I called home and my grandma's voice was like a burst of sunshine, she told me that she's sending me MONKEY BALM & SALONPAS incase I don't feel well. Lol, I told her it's going to stink up my entire hall. Grandma told me that Sugar misses me as well, she runs straight to my room every day she returns home from work with my grandparents.

If I was on my laptop, I'd be able to type much more, haha. But let me try to continue.
Everything is really chill. People are so nice, and it's so easy being friendly. I've met people waiting for class, met people on the treadmills, meeting people at events, down my hall, in my building, meeting people in my lectures - everywhere. I don't know what I really expected from my first week here, but it's hard to feel like this is all permanent. Feels like I'm doing orientation for school. Why are people so nice here! Even the people serving us food are all smiles.

My roommate is great, she's really nice and embarrassingly funny like me. Haha, she buys food and says she'll cook for me, lol. She says one of the things that make her happy is when people like the food she cooks, HEEEEYY! :) I can also be completely myself around her, too. When I need quiet time, she's quiet. And when we feel like being loud, we sing together (she's a chorus singer so she definitely has a better voice) but she have the same taste in music, she knows how to rap to Chris Brown, lol. We both can also sleep under any circumstance and wake up when we have to. She doesn't mind me going through 10 outits to did the right one either lol. Overall, I'm glad to have a great roommie!

My hallmates are great too! Still in the process of getting comfortable with each other, but I've played pool and ping pong with them - and we have lots of movie nights together. Everyone says hi to everyone and it's just a way too friendly place. I've already taken my first college shot on the third floor lol, and one was enough for now.

College is going to need a LITTLE more time to get used to but I can really sense the whole independence thing going on. Waking up whenever, sleeping in whenever. Bringing whoever into your room whenever, haha. My roommate who is Vivian btw, left for the weekend to go home to get things she forgot and told me, "Hey Shayna! When I go home, you and Thomas can do whatever!" HAHA, I laughed when she told me that bc I wasn't expecting it but I replied, "Yea Vivian! Don't worry, I'll let you in on all the dirty details!" Lol, it was just a funny moment. Thomas and I hung out of course, but I know the previous blog is now making you all wonder. I'll probably write a separate blog on that next time when I'm on my laptop.

I know I have a lot more to blog about, but it'll be on here sooner than you know! I haven't taken many pictures yet but I want to get to know everybody before I snap away! My first class is at 12pm :) which is awesome. I have so much to blog about! (some being unnecessary facts) but there's no such thing as unnecessary when it come to me blogging, right? Haha, I don't even know what I'm writing right now. But next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment